|8down voteaccepted||The seven steps around the fire represents seven promises taken by newly married couple in the presence of the fire. In Hindu religion, he is believed as the maintainer of life. He carries the fruits of the yajna performed by us. So seven steps are done in presence of fire. These are called as SaptaPadi meaning seven steps in sanskrit. The couple take seven revolutions around the fire taking seven promises.
The following are the vows taken by the groom :
The following are the vows taken by the bride :
The above are the vows taken by the bride and groom separately. On the whole the meaning of each step is as follows.
First step- For nourishment of each other
Second step- To grow together in strength
Third step- To preserve our wealth and become rich.
Forth step- To attain happiness and harmony
Fifth step- To care their children, in-laws and relatives.
Sixth step- For Long life togetherness.
Seventh Step- Life long loyalty unity and all goodness forever.
All gṛhya sūtrās speak about seven steps only. The sath phera or seven circumambulations around the fire is a recent development and not said in any gṛhya sūtrās.
- Parvati’s Exam – Sanskrit Story
- Kailayanathar temple – Thevara vaippu sthalam
- Sanskrit grammar joke
- Sanskrit joke
- Once chakra can generate 600000 Shlokas which is equivalent to 1400000 letters – Sanskrit
- Muruga bhakti – Surandaiyur Adhavan – Spiritual story
- Ashtapadi 17 in tamil
- Requirement of Sanskrit teacher
- Veda in the form of a tree at Ilayathangudi – Periyavaa
- Dakshinamurthy ashtakam sloka 4 in tamil
Gowrishanakr on books on Sanskrit Grammar… knramesh on Fruit names in sanskrit Ramitha on Fruit names in sanskrit ramakrishnan6002 on Beware, beware ramakrishnan6002 on Boon -positive story